Monday, February 29, 2016

Praying Can be Dangerous

It's crazy I've been out for over a month now! Time flies. This week
was interesting exciting kind of bummerish and kind of sweet all at
the same time. On Tuesday we went on exchanges with the zone leaders, so one of them came to Lewisberry and I went to Harrisburg with the other one, Elder Gee. We spent pretty much all day walking around Steelton in the rain trying some potential investigators. We weren't able to contact most of them but a couple of them were super stoked to see us and we were able to set up return appointments! It was sweet. Then that night after going home teaching with a member we went and did service at this non-profit recycled bike shop in downtown Harrisburg. It was super cool! I really enjoyed it, I wish I could've taken pictures of the shop but I didn't have my iPad with me. We spent about an hour there disassembling old bikes and keeping certain parts that weren't chopped. It was really cool. 

Then on Wednesday we exchanged back at district meeting. Later that day on Wednesday a super gnarly storm brewed up and there was actually a tornado warning. The tornado warning went away after a bit in our area, but we later heard that a little tornado took out a little Amish village in Lancaster which isn't far from us. Apparently the Amish had most of the buildings raised back up and repaired within a couple days. Amish people right there. I still haven't met any yet, but I hear they make good food. We're gonna try to go get some Amish food this week I think. I guess they post up at a flea market in Lewisberry and sell some cakes that are apperently super good. 

Anyways, we didn't get a tornado here but we got a ridiculous amount of rain that night. Me and Elder Ramos went to go see if our investigator L was home and walked probably only 1/4 of a mile and our pants were 100% soaked. Unfortunately she wasn't there, and we still haven't been able to contact her all week which is really frustrating. So we walked back. I'm not sure if I've ever been so wet as a result of rain. My pants were 100% soaked like I said and my water proof jacket had soaked through to my sleeves in a few spots. It was really funny.
On Thursday we spent most of the day helping a guy in our ward,
Brother Pickett, do some work on his house. He is remodeling his
kitchen himself and we helped him out for most of the day. It was a
good time, his house is a cabin, and he's a really cool guy. Then he
took us to a really good Philly cheesesteak place in Camp Hill which he claims is just as good as the places in Philadelphia and he goes there once a week for work. After that we went on splits with him and one of the priests in the ward, Steven. Elder Ramos went with Brother Pickett and I went with Steven. Steven and I first went to visit N and had an excellent lesson with her. We read Alma 36 with her and she found a lot of peace and comfort in it. We also shared the Mormon message titled "The Savior Wants to Forgive." That's one of the awesome things about having iPads is it's easy to share videos & stuff. She said the lesson was exactly what she needed to hear which was awesome. 

After that we had a lesson set up with a recent convert but he wasn't home so I was like dang it! So I was like uhh well there's an inactive member, Brother DLS, we've taught a couple times down the street, so we went there. We talked a bit about prayer and scripture study and I gave him an assignment out of the Book of Mormon and he straight up told me "No." And I was like geez
homie and I asked him what was keeping him from reading the Book of Mormon and he said "I only believe in the Bible" and I was thinking to myself then why the heck did you get baptized in the first place dude, but he must've had a testimony of the Book of Mormon at some point. So anyways we set up a time to read the Bible with him next week.
On Friday we went on splits again and me and Brother Pickett went and did his home teaching which was good because this family we taught are recent converts and are preparing to be sealed in the temple. On Saturday morning we helped a guy in our ward move and then we spent most of the day at doctors offices because Elder Ramos got a needle in his foot praying! 

So let's go back to Thursday night, Elder Ramos is getting up from praying and is like ow! And his foot had a tiny dot of blood and we looked around on the floor for something poky and couldn't find something and so were like alright. And then the next day he was like my foot really hurts bad and we didn't walk much. We started to think that when he was getting up his foot was curled and somehow his toe broke and had a very small compound fracture that poked out the top and made it bleed a bit. We couldn't think of
anything else because we didn't find anything on the floor that
would've poked him and the pain he described was as if it was broken.
So we finally found a doctor down in York (thankfully brother Fike the ward mission leader took us) that would take his insurance. So he got an X Ray and we were expecting it to be broken from a freak accident praying, and then the doctors were like why is there a piece of metal in your foot? And we were like uhhh what and sure enough looked at the x Ray and there was a needle in there! Through the top of his foot and all the doctors were thoroughly intrigued. It was funny when he was explaining himself "well I was praying on my knees and my foot was top down and when I was getting up and my foot was sliding it must've slid in" So yeah then they "made an incision" and took it out and I had to be in the room for it! I was cringing in the corner but managed to turn around and snap a picture real quick. So yeah that was exciting.
Sunday was stake conference and it was really good. All the talks were on missionary work. So there's a pretty decent play by play of my week!

- Elder Poulsen

Elder Ramos getting needle out


Weird pic of me and Elder Ramos

No comments:

Post a Comment